1/31/10

I have officially submitted all of my grad school applications.  I am so excited about this; you have NO idea.  This means only 2 more scholarship applications to go (3 if I get into one of the Canadian schools)!  I am incredibly sick of filling out applications and writing self-reflective admissions essays.

Now I play the waiting game.  If there is any way you can keep your fingers crossed until March/April, please do so!

Today marks 3 months that D and I have been dating.  I feel like that is something of a milestone.  I still worry about what will happen in the future...especially if we are still together when I leave for grad school.  But I'm trying to enjoy now and just not think too much about that.  He's amazing.  :)

So I was going to do a whole post on the intellectual/neurotic thing, but I think I'll just include it here...

Whenever I am in a social situation where I am expected to impress (i.e., lunch with a dean candidate, a formal reception, things like that), I get really nervous.  More so when there is food.  Because I have to eat something to appear normal, yet I don't know what is in the food or how the food was prepared.  So here's how I generally deal with it:

a) being mostly vegan helps A LOT.  It's a very convenient excuse for being picky about food.  Plus (at least where I live) ususally the only vegan-friendly option is salad.
b) follow other people's examples.  For instance, my housemate also attended the dean candidate lunch.  I took about the same amount of food as she did.  My eating habits have been screwy for so long that I don't really know what normal portions are anymore...so the only way for me to judge is by watching others.
c) eat slowly and take frequent sips of drink.  For me, at least, this helps to reduce anxiety because I feel more controlled.  I really detest eating in front of people too; I always get really uncomfortable and paranoid.  Small bites and pauses help.
d) don't think about it.  I tell myself that it is ok and even necessary to eat this one meal in public and not stress over it.  Sometimes that helps, sometimes it doesn't.  I try to focus on being thoughtful instead--which leads into the second half of my coping methods:

Coming across as intellectual and poised rather than the mess I actually am:
a) look people up beforehand when possible.  So when you are meeting someone important you will have their basic background.  It makes small talk easier (and believe me, I am terrible at small talk).
b) make eye contact.  This is usually hard for me, but I am getting better at it.
c) look interested and open and react to what the other person is saying.  I always put on my "attentive face".  A raised eyebrow or small nod here and there works wonders--it indicates that you are listening and understand exactly what they are saying (even if you don't really).  It's also a non-verbal encouragement for them to continue.  Most people like talking about themselves/their work/their interests, and the more they say, the less you have to contribute.  You can insert a few judicious remarks (meaningful if possible) and they will not remember that you didn't say much--and they'll have good feelings associated with the conversation.
d) mirroring.  This is really basic psychology, and most people aren't aware of it.  Humans tend to mimic (or "mirror") the behaviors of those that we like and/or admire.  And we also tend to like those that mirror us (it's subconsciously flattering.  I suspect that it's also a comfort factor--we tend to be more comfortable around those most similar to ourselves).  So you can consciously exploit that tendency.  For example, sit in a position that mirrors the person talking to you.  If they have their legs crossed, cross your own.  It's subtle, but it does work.
e) body language.  Beyond just looking interested, make sure your body language is open.  So no crossed arms or defensive postures.  Keep your torso angled towards the person speaking--it's indicative of attention.

Can you tell I am a psych minor?

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you and D have been together for 3 months. It is a big milestone. I remember how nervous you were about it when it first started. Good for you! It's funny when I read the stuff you wrote as what popped into my head is me in the office with my psych last week and I kept having to stop crossing my arms over my chest. I am very aware of that in therapy or even job interviews. Good luck with your applications, I will keep my fingers and toes crossed *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. So... I decided to read your blog from the beginning in hopes of reading what happened between you and your ex, and how you got through it... However you didn't really get into the messy deets. However!! You did mention a tattoo, but never said what it was?!? Spill girly!!
    Fingers crossed for the applications!!
    Congrats on making it to three mths, I think that is a huge milestone too =)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. *Noms Salix*
    Ooooh I'm gonna whore the hell outta that advice!! :D

    I'll keep my toes crossed for you. I need teh fingers free for scrolling on blog catchups.

    Hey! I can scroll AND type with crossed fingers!! Score! :D

    Have an awesome day hun! Good luck!!!!!

    ReplyDelete