Wendy’s is the after-meet treat. All the other girls, the popular ones, go out together with their mothers and the coaches. No boys allowed. This is a girl’s game, a girl’s arena. The dads belong in the background, offering their support in the form of money and disinterest. The girls giggle and gossip, adrenaline still rushing through their veins. The moms chat with each other and the coaches. Stage mothers thrive here and tempers run rampant. There are undercurrents to the conversation, pushing and pulling. Manipulating. The moms all want their child to be the best, to be the favorite. They have their own little circles; they run subtle campaigns against each other. It’s not only the athletes who compete in this sport.
We never joined this group. I didn’t fit in. Mom didn’t fit in. We weren’t thin and pretty. We weren’t talented. Mom was too blunt, not subtle enough to sustain the falsely complimentary banter in which the other moms communicated. We’d get in the car and drive. If I’d done well, we’d stop at Wendy’s and I’d get an order of fries. If I’d done poorly, I’d get a lecture. I’ve never been sure precisely what constituted as poorly. Usually it was if I hadn’t placed first in everything. Sometimes it was even when I did place first. The perfect 10.0 is a construct. There’s no such thing as perfection in gymnastics. There’s always one more landing you could’ve stuck, one jump that could’ve been higher, one toe that wasn’t quite pointed hard enough.
Mom criticized. I sat in the back seat, staring out into blackness. I watched my reflection in the window. Secretly I always liked the way I looked at those times. Pale face, huge eyes. The window was smudged enough that I couldn’t see the tears silently rolling down my cheeks. The best tactic was to be quiet. If she realized you were crying it would only get worse.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I sit in Dr. Therapist’s office, on the chair furthest from her desk. I am projecting hostile body language: legs crossed, arms around my body, hunched forward. I don’t bother to correct myself; why bother pretending to be open and happy when I am not? She’s never mentioned it, so maybe she doesn’t notice.
Dr. Therapist used to have an ED. She tells me this at our very first appointment. “I used to be anorexic,” she says. “Then I went to college and became a majorette and eventually started to like my body again.” At a later session, she gives a few more details. “I was 5’3’’ and got down to 98 lbs. Never diagnosed as an anorexic, but I was. I’ve been on a diet ever since.” I am wondering how this qualifies her to counsel me. I’m not anorexic. I’m way too fat.
We are talking about food and food habits. “You just need to build healthy habits,” she says. “It took me a year to create my habits, but you keep at it and it becomes automatic.” I expect her to start talking about nutritionists and creating balanced meals but she surprises me. Instead, she tells me how she has lunch every month with her son at the Grille down the street and how she always substitutes the side potatoes for a healthier option. “I don’t eat white foods,” she says. I tell her about having to drink 3-4 quarts of water daily for kidney stones and she nods approvingly. “I always drink seltzer water,” she advises, “it has no calories and it fills your stomach.” I nod. All ED patients know this trick. The no-white-foods rule is a common one too. Cauliflower is the only safe food that is white. Rice, bread, potatoes…too many calories. Too dangerous.
“Bulimia is the out-of-control. Anorexia is extremely tight control,” she tells me. I think she is trying to say that I need to find somewhere in the middle, but that’s not what I’m hearing. I’m hearing that I am out of control. I’m hearing that I’m a failure. I’m hearing that her 17-year-old self was stronger than me and that’s why I’m fat and she wasn’t. I’m hearing, “Starve. Starve. Starve,” in my brain. I want that control. I need it.
D and I are exercising. He’s “training” me...”We’ll get you where you want to be,” he says. But I doubt it. He thinks that 100 lbs is not a healthy goal for a 5’2” female.
D is doing this under the assumption that if my self-image becomes more positive then I will be less disordered. Maybe he’s right. If I were thin, if I were strong like I used to be, maybe I could be normal again. Or maybe not. Food has been in control of my life for so long now that I can’t imagine it not being a factor. I think I will always be screwed up about food.
D says, “Actually, eating disorders have a fairly high recovery rate.” I think to myself, “How do you define recovery?” I don’t say this aloud. I don’t wish to voice it. I also don’t wish to discourage his efforts. After all, if I am going to be fucked up for the rest of my life, I might as well be skinny.
ED is screwing with my career. Aside from all the obvious ways, it’s extremely detrimental in that it hampers my networking. “The two things you need to know for a conference,” my grad student mentor advises me, “is one: that people want to meet students. You’re not bothering them. And two: never eat alone.”
Later, he invites me out for a drink. I decline with the excuse that I’m exhausted. I am pretty tired, despite all the caffeine I’ve had today (coffee and diet sodas). I’ve been on my feet all day and my caloric intake is below 100—all I’ve allowed myself is a small plain salad at the welcome social. One piece of broccoli, 5 slices of cucumber, 2 spoonfuls of jalapenos, and one bite of celery (the rest was contaminated with dressing). It’s been a successful day. I’m pleased with myself. The real reason I’m not joining the pub crawl tonight though is not due to the fact that I’m tired. It’s not due to the fact that I need to get up at 7 tomorrow morning to make the 8 am talk on trout that I want to hear. Nope. Those are great reasons, but they’re not why I backed out. The real reason is that alcohol is calorific. Beer? No way. Mixed drinks? Just as bad.
Fish people drink like…well, like fish. Obviously I need to find an acceptable drink in order to make friends in this field. Tomorrow, I will look up calorie lists. If I eat nothing else all day, one drink should be okay. Maybe.
The thing of it is that I am not skinny enough to be disordered. That’s it. Plain and simple.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, I am currently obsessed with this video. Partly for the video and partly for the song. I can almost remember what it felt like to be so strong. Almost.
Salix, keep smiling girl.. you dnt hav to be skinny to be disordered.. fuck those who think that you're not sick unless you way underweight. 2nd, your therapist is totally contradicting herself.. im not sure i like her very much!
ReplyDeletePS I hav a new blog the Vomitorium
proana-life.blogspot.com (used to be Adventures of Jayne and Ed) check it out if ya want and anyone else.. would love to get back on the blogging scene.. x
I can totally relate about mothers, but mine would always buy junk food and then criticize me for eating it. She always said I should "tape it to my butt" because that's where it would end up. And she still continues to remind me how fat I am every time I go home...
ReplyDeleteAnyways, I know you and your D. will work it out. I told my D. about my ED too. And I figure, if they're both still with us, it must be love. When you really love someone, you accept them for who they are- the good and the bad. And we've already shared the worst, right?
Stay strong and beautiful, my dear.
b.
Vodka and diet coke is my LIFE when I'm out pubbing. Occasionally I'll feel brave and have Jagermeister and diet Ginger Ale (A Ginger Meister as my dad calls it) or Opal Nera with coke and a lemon twist. Caffiene balancing out the depressant effects of alcohol with no sugars to crash off of.
ReplyDeleteOoooo talk on trout? Gimmie the highlights? Dammit you've got me wanting to EAT sea-run trout now XD Mmmmm, bottled wild-caught trout on a leafy salad. FUCK! XD
God I'd love to unleash my brothers at ages 9 and 11 on your Mum. They'd have her running for the hills within HOURS and you'd be free of her XD
Head up high, love. You can go this. Don't let the ED spoil your career. You can throw a rope around it's neck and make it obey YOU long enough to have a successful social engagement. That 'you're not sick unless you're a skeleton' thing is a pile of SHIT and it makes me so sad and angry that everyone believes it.
I'm cheering for you hun. You love what you're studying and I'm so proud of you for doing what you love. Sink your little tenacious terrier teeth into and don't let go of it no matter how had the ED tries to pull you off it. Go all Moray Eeel, RAWR!!
I'm cheering for you and doing a GO SALIX! dance :)
xoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxxoxo
3 things...no, 4 things:
ReplyDelete1. Getting over a crush is as easy as pie: force yourself to obsess. Sit down and tell yourself you will think of nothing but the crush object for 30mins straight. DO NOT allow your mind to wander. Replay every moment that mattered to you. Do this once a day, every day for maybe...Idk, 2 weeks? I'm pretty sure that by the end of 2 weeks, you will have lost all interest in anything relating to crushes of any kind. The hurt, the thrill, the lingering longing will all be replaced by a vague sense of boredom. Or at least, that's how it works for me. lol
2.Your therapist is still anorexic.
Anyone who says "bulimia is the out of control, anorexia is extremely tight control," still has an ED.
The very presence of an ED is a loss of healthy control, as the ED controls the person who has it, not the other way around.
Anyone who thinks that specific kinds of EDs are more/less controlled clearly still identifies with the thought processes of their own ED as opposed to seeing things clinically or even objectively.
I'm not sure what this means for you as her patient, as she might be a very good therapist in all other respects; but the fact that she still practices and admits openly to practicing restrictive eating as a 'diet' (despite her claim that she started to like her body again; in that case, why diet?) and did not mention a nutritionist or dietician as part of a plan to help educate and support you as you build a healthier relationship with food shows she's sympathizing with you as opposed to challenging you.
3. Having an ED and being average or overweight are not mutually exclusive. I'm sure you know this. I've had an ED essentially my entire life and I have never once been underweight. I am right now at a normal weight, but I haven't eaten what is considered a normal/healthy daily intake in years.
Having an ED is mental maze of complicated relationships and food as a proxy by which unexpressed emotions are acted upon. Being skinny is a side effect of certain ED behaviors, but not the sole indicator of having one.
Whether you decide to meander down the serpentine road to recovery or not, don't minimize the truth of yourself, your problems, your struggle. You, most of all, must acknowledge the magnitude of what you go through.
4. As far as your social networking goes, no one says you HAVE to drink while you're at the bar. I'm a former alcoholic but I hang out in seedy bars all the time, drinking plain tonic on the rocks with lime.
You have a drink in your hand, you wave it around as you talk, sip it now and then and you'll be fine. Or have what my ex-boyfriend (another former alcoholic) used to call a 'watertini': seltzer and olives. You don't have to eat the olives, they're just for flavor/visual pizazz. If those don't sound appealing, I also do diet cranberry juice with a splash of soda on the rocks, or a virgin bloody mary coz that's just v8 and celery...it's like drinking a salad.
And what's more, don't be embarrassed about what you're drinking. You can always claim to be straight edge or the designated driver or whatever; what's in your glass is nobody's biz, but I doubt the drunk fucks will even notice or care. ;p
xo
0x
Yeah, your therapist is definitely still eating disordered, if not still anorexic. Not sure how qualified that makes her to be a therapist, but we all need to do something with our lives, I suppose. At least she will know where you are coming from!
ReplyDeleteI just watched that video, and it's awesome :) I used to be a competitive gymnast as well, and I always stay up to date on all the major competitions going on world-wide.
Lastly, the drink is the Skinny Bitch. It's diet coke and vodka. I usually do flavored vodka, if the bar I am at has it. I particularly like raspberry flavored and vanilla flavored.
Stay strong xoxo