4/29/11

Also, was pondering while half-asleep last night and came to the conclusion that at least some of my aversion to doctors comes from my mother.

When I was little, I never went to the doctor's.  Seriously, never.  I never got really sick or anything either, but I don't even remember going to the doctor's when I got chicken pox in eighth grade.  I can only remember 2 doctor's visits, and they were both for standard physicals (for intense gymnastics training camps, they require that you've had a physical within the past two years).

And whenever I did get sick, my mom would get angry and call me her "little sickie" and say that we already had one sick person in the family (my dad has a chronic illness) and we didn't need another.

I think this sort of thing also contributes to my intense negative reaction to perceived condescension.  Her other favorite phrase was when I cried--she'd go, "Ohhh, let's all throw a pity-party for [salix]".

My mom was really fantastic at invalidating and/or belittling my feelings.

Okay, rant over.  Brushing hair and leaving for bus stop now.

3 comments:

  1. i was only in the hospital a few times as a kid. just for emergencies. when i had seizures (lovely), when my eye swelled shut (scary), &when i fell&broke glass i needed stitches in my arm (clumsy), &when i needed staples in my head after an unfortunate diving board encounter (bad at flipping). i'm really obsessive about my teeth now because dentistry wasn't a priority, either. i don't get why parents (mine, yours, etc) tell children to stop crying or make fun of them for it. wow. sorry for babbling.
    xoxo
    zette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your Mum is a total raging bitch on wheels! Stupid mole.

    Best of luck to you! Do what makes you happy, eat tasty stuff slowly and enjoy it, (Stop and take a break if you feel like you're gonna flip out and binge) and keep D the fuck OUT of Salix-Castle. You're too good for him.

    REPEAT AFTER ME:
    I, Salix, am totally fucking AWESOME. I'm too good to be taken for granted. Nobody is allowed to belittle me this weekend, not even myself. I will ignore people who attempt to guilt-trip me and ruin my holiday. For I, Salix, am Queen of the Seas and have a pod of man-eating Orca at my command and am far too cool to take shit from anyone.

    So go have a BLAST!! *Sends you safe-travel vibes and lots of love*

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a similar upbringing. Mum was of the just-walk-it-off school of parenting; so doctors were for pansies, apparently. :/

    ReplyDelete